Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Out of Retirement

After a 90+ day vacation or retirement I have returned to work. I worked the weekend and am working everyday this week. It is nice to be back to doing something and I am enjoying the job and people I am working with. I am hoping they can keep me busy enough to pay the bills and in the future it would be great if it could turn into more of a full time position.
It is pretty easy to get depressed and lose your sense of worth when you are spending all of your time cleaning, cooking, and taking care of minor children. Some previous blog posts have addressed the issue of stay at home vs working and which is more challenging. We have chosen to try to do some of all (some work, some childcare). At times it feels like you are not quite doing it right but then do you ever feel like you are the perfect parent or employee. So you are still waiting to hear what i have to say regarding the big question of what is the most challenging. It is not really a tough question. It is easier to be at work then to be home. Some would say what about your boss or deadlines or whatever. For me I seem to have a great boss, as for other stressors the only bad thing that happens at my work is that my patients die. Hmmm I guess that is not so good. I guess I have rarely been in a job that I have grown to hate. There was one and I quit and got a new job. I would say for those of you that have such a stressful job you might find another one. It is easy for me to say. It is great to be home every other day or for a brief period but the long drawn out day to day sometimes monotony can get old. I do try to be creative and do fun things with the kids but they require a certain schedule that can be hard to follow if you are constantly on the go having lots of fun.
For my conclusion:
My first choice is still to work part time spending some time with the kids and spending time working to maintain a sense of worth the rest of the world can appreciate and understand (and the paycheck helps as well). As I have said before this is a choice that we made long ago pre children and luckily we both have jobs that allow this to happen and we feel we can afford to live a middle class life we both find acceptable. I have often thought that if somehow we became independently wealthy and didn't need to work that I would still work 1-2 days a week just to keep that connection to the real world. Ok that is enough of that. I think early on in the blogging I said that I would try to keep most of my opinions to myself but one slipped out.

1 comment:

SoozeSchmooze said...

Welcome back to work Con!! You are 100% right on the if you don't enjoy you job ...better look for another...work takes up way too much of our time not to be something we get a great deal of satisfaction from...I think it is awesome that you guys are sharing the work/kid/home thing...Susie