Thursday, February 01, 2007

Favorite games?


This is a poll to see what are people's most favorite games. We go through phases and then get bored and then modify the games and then eventually start on a new one (or Spring comes and we go outside). Winter time is the perfect time for playing games.

Currently, we are on a Settlers of Catan kick which we have been on for a while. We have recently been introduced to Blokus which is fun but we are still in the learning curve for strategy. We have been reintrduced to UNO because it is a game 4 yr olds can almost play.

So, I guess I am looking for a list of games from people that include games we don't know or forgot that are fun to play. Please indicate how many players required. My wife and I are also looking for good 2 person games that we can play without adding too much marital strife. Here is a short list of games I came up with.


1. Settlers of Catan - A fun boardgame that in our opinion best with 3 or more people.


2. Blokus - board game we have just started to learn. Not bad with 2 people. As I said we are still learning.


3. Rook- old standby card game that I could play in my sleep. It is nice because I don't have to think too hard and so it can be more social.


4. Books and Runs - this cardgame we played with regular cards but it looks like somegame company marketed it as Five Crowns. It is another old standby that it fun


5. Canasta- here is a card game that we used to play a lot but haven't played for years


6. Euchre - this is a Michigan favorite card game that we played a couple of times and I think we could have gotten into it but just never played enough but we could always try it again.


7. Cribbage- I found this board/card game in the closet. We bought it years ago to play as a couple and now we have forgotten how to play.


8. Spite and Malice - This is a card game that we played with my Great Aunt after school. My great Aunt was a great game player.


9. Aggravation - This is a board game that we played with my great aunt. It is a Milton Bradley version of Parchesi also known as Wahoo. My Aunt had her own custom board made out of board and had a whole bag full of dice some of which she had named. Some were probably loaded as she used certain die to roll certain numbers. My favorite wass "Dead Eye Dick" used to roll "1" when needed.


10. Clue - There was a version of Clue that was different then the basic board game that some friends of ours had in Reno. We were never able to find it to buy for ourselves. The unfortunate part is that I don't really recall what was different about it except that it was more fun then the original. I just tried to look on Ebay w/o luck.


These are just a few I could come up with over my years. Let me know if anyone else has some favorites. We are always looking to learn a new one or relearn one we forgot.

7 comments:

Dim and Jana said...

The Clue game was called Museum Capers and we hunted for it a couple years ago with no luck. Let us know if you find it.
JIM

jay are said...

Hey, a really fun game (best with three or more---a lot more even---players) is called Dutch Blitz. I think it's an amish game or something, and we've only been able to find it online. Very fun...a fast-moving game.

Rook is always a hit but sometimes hard to find enough people to play who actually know how.

Another great game: Apples To Apples, both regular version and Junior version. A super fun game--like the ad for it says "All you need is an opinion" :)

"Set" is a great card game that even one person can play. Our kids really like that game. Also, "PDQ"--super fun.

Books and Runs is one of my favorites along with Boggle and online scrabble :)

Cheers!

Rob said...

Guess I'm stuck in 20-yrs-ago (or more) games...

Monopoly (cutthroat rules)
Scrabble (my 9- and 11-yr-old nephews can beat me occasionally)
Chess
Pictionary
Boggle

and I really liked the game "Pit", but I don't see it anywhere any more...

jay are said...

Pit is great! especially if you play Spoons at the same time!

Extrem4 said...

Thanks for all of the comments. We have Dutch Blitz but have never played it. Some of our friends brought it over when we lived in MI and left it at our house we moved and still have it. I should try to find it if we didn't give it back. We played SET in Reno but I remember there was thinking involved. I vaguely recall PIT. Thanks again for the ideas.

Left Coast Sister said...

Jay Are and her family play a crazy game of fast Scrabble, which I've yet to figure out, although the most entertaining part of it is when you walk in on the entire Are family Scrabble-ing rapidly.

amydee said...

Pente! Pente is a strategy game that you can learn quickly. It's easier than Blokus even. You can play with two, but is even more fun with 3 or 4 or 5. This game is no longer made! Why do they do this to us!! You can find them on ebay and we lucked out at a garage sale last summer so we have 2 sets and might be pursuaded to loan you one....let's try Blokus again.