Thursday, January 18, 2007

Dry Spell

It has been a bit of a dry spell since the last posting. Unfortunately, we weren't on vacation. We weren't turning over a new leaf and spending our time exercising and getting in shape. We haven't been working on remodeling our house. The one excuse I can come up with is that we broke our digital camera. I dug out the old one so thatreally isn't a good excuse.
Last weekend we did go to a BSU Basketball game. They managed to dig themselves into a hole at the beginning of the game that they couldn't quite crawl out of by the end of the game. I think that I am bad luck for the basketball team. I just listened to the last 2 mins of their game at Utah State. They were up by 9 pts with 2 mins left and they managed to lose. They did not score the last 2 mins. They missed 5 freethrows. The other team scoreed 10 pts. Pathetic. Well, I guess on the other hand I am good luck for the football team given their dramatic win which I am sure would not have been possible except that I watched the game and told them what to do. I guess we will find out Sat night as we are going to their home game against Hawaii.

*WARNING* SOAPBOX

Having played high school basketball I can't understand how any basketball player can't make at least 70% of their freethrows. BSU has lost 5 or 6 games this yr by 4 points or less. If they made their freethrows closer to 70% they would probably have won more of those games. I used to shoot freethrows every night until I made 8/10 or I kept shooting. If you have down the fundamentals it is basically all in the head. Focus, focus, focus. So I just heard they had 47% for the game at the line. Interesting since they shot 59% from the 3 pt line. Hmmmm. Look, I don't even think that the excuse of a hostile environment should make a difference. If you spend time shooting lots of freethrows you should be in your own little world on the freethrow line and put them in even if there are 10,000 people yelling at you. I just have the feeling that the BSU players will be shooting more freethrows this week or at least they should.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummm...and my nice dh didn't even mentioned who dropped the digital camera. Note to vast readership: do NOT drop a digital camera. It fell no more than 10 inches, onto carpet (yes, I was the one, and it slipped out of my hand as I went to take a picture at New Years time). Sigh.

Rob said...

sorry about the camera. i've had the good luck not to break my camera even tho i knocked it off the table onto the hardwood floor, and dropped it (in its case) in the parking lot.

as to free throws: absolutely.
i myself made a free throw once, which means pretty much anyone can do it. my entire basketball repertoire consisted of throwing my butt around in the key, and blocking out (after Extrem showed me how to do it one day)...

si said...

1st time commenter (came via bryan's blog). this post resonated w/me because i used to be pretty superstitious about my sports teams (tho, not saying *you* are! :)). *I* was the cause of the outcome, especially if i changed something and the team went in a funk from that point forward.

also totally agree with the free throw lameness that most teams seem to have now. the point is that they're FREE -- one should absolutely take advantage of these baskets.

btw, i cannot play a sport to save my life. am strictly a spectator (an opinionated one at that). at least, unlike most of bryan's sports stories, i can understand yours... :)

Extrem4 said...

si-
Thanks for the comments. Finally someone that understands my spors stories.
When I played bb in high school I
didn't have any wierd rituals (like wearing my lucky socks that I never washed) but I did tend toward a routine and stuck to that to help get mentally prepared. But really how much mental preparation does it take to sit on the bench and get in maybe 5 mins out of the game. Well, more then once I got in the game and got fouled and I made my freethrows Dagnabit.
As for Bryan - back in our college days he was just coming out of his nerdy high school phase. I tried to teach him a few things about basketball and he did improve quite a bit over the 8 years of my college experience. I guess if you consider his growth in basketball vs my growth in Hockey which he tried to teach me he wins out as he is a better bb player then I am hockey player.

si said...

well give yourself a break, it's hockey! there's ice and skating and sticks and that 6-inch(?) disc thing... :)