Thursday, January 04, 2007

Skiing again after a 8 yr hiatus






I haven't been skiing since we left Reno except for Nordic skiing which we tried for the first time in MI. I found Nordic skiing to be fun but lots of work as well. When our company was here for New Years we decided we should go skiing. We have a local ski resort Bogus Basin and I didn't have too high of expectations as it is only 40 mins away and it would be too good if it was nice. I came away very impressed. It is an interesting resort as it is a nonprofit and caters to the local community. The also did an interesting thing a few years ago by slashing their season passes to less the 200$ and their profit more then doubled. It has 2600 acres, 1800 vertical drop, 60+ runs, and a couple of high speed quads. It looks like a great place to teach or relearn how to ski. They also have a deal where you can get 4 lessons, equipment renter, and a season pass for some ridiculous low price.

So the day of skiing was great. The sun was out. It was cold enough to keep the snow good but not too cold to freeze you to death. I didn't fall and injure myself and I felt like my ski legs were returning after 3-4 runs. I am still a little sore after the fact but am excited that we have such a nice resort so close and as reasonable as skiing can be. It is a fun source of exercise. I am envisioning in a few years going up with the kids for a midweek morning or afternoon of skiing and getting chores done with the rest of our day. it will also be a fun place to take our out of town company. for the none skiers they have a sledding hill and for the non skiers/non sledders I didn't check out all of the lodges but I bet there is a place to put up your feet by the fire and look out the windows at all of the skiers/boarders.

My wife has made the comment that she thinks that she can be as bad of a snowboarder as she is a bad skier so she wants to make the switch as she has not skied in 10 years. So maybe we will all try to learn together. By next year all the kids might be potty trained and ready for lessons. I sounds like lots of fun.



4 comments:

Lisa said...

Love the hats. No, really....

Left Coast Sister said...

Can't wait to hear of my sister's tales of shreddin' the snow... let's go!

jay are said...

it looks good! very pretty. I just skiied after a 20 year hiatus, so if I can do that....and it wasn't so bad.

SoozeSchmooze said...

humm I remember Bogus Basin...the nurses used to do night skiing up there...they had cheaper tickets for half day...like 4pm til 9pm or something like that...kept everyone active and out of trouble!